Tuesday, February 21, 2012

My Environment



           My bedroom is characteristically designed from my personality and interests. As we discussed in class, the bedroom is our privacy room, in which we can control the boundary that allows us to pace and regulate interaction with others. Having your bedroom door slightly opened, completely opened or shut nonverbally communicates to the person who would like to inhabit the space.
            As for my bedroom, I enjoy having my door opened during the day having it feel welcoming to friends who come to visit or even my roommates. I find my bedroom to be the room that everyone comes to when we are just sitting around chatting. I like to have open space, but due to the amount of space that I have, I try to have it easy for myself and others to walk around without feeling crowded or on top of one another.
            When designing my bedroom at my apartment, I tried to incorporate as much as I could to help remind me of home and what I enjoy. As seen in the picture, my bedroom is filled with the colors of blue and green. My room is very earthy and relaxing with the amount of bamboo I have and flowers throughout my space. I also surround my territory with markers such as pictures of friends and family, and other personal items to show that this is my ownership and primary territory to my apartment.
            When someone has a first glance at my room, they can tell immediately l that I am very much so a neat freak because it looks like the room has never been touched. I have a tendency to always make my bed immediately when getting up and starting my day, and always making sure that my clothes and shoes are put away leaving the floors and chairs to be clear.
            As I continue analyzing other aspects of my room, my television is on my dresser directly in front of my bed, making it easy if others are in the room to watch television from all angles. My desk is tucked in the corner with two laptops, one that I use for school and personal use and the other for work. Normally a person can tell if I am in the middle of doing school work or not by the scattered papers or books on top of my desk. If I am in the middle of something I will leave them out, but if not they are always on the shelf put away neatly.
            I enjoy having others in my room, and being able to express what kind of person I am through nonverbal cues. I find it to be very interesting and correct that you can distinguish and understand what a person likes by the way they decorate their personal space or even public space through their apartment or home. 

1 comment:

  1. I would expect everyone's room to reflect their personality. What else can you say about the communication of space, using the vocabulary from Chapter Three? (formality, warmth, privacy, energy/arousal, dominance/power, etc.
    Use your posts to show off what you're learning.

    ReplyDelete